Country-side tour Amsterdam: Bike tour with a Local Guide
Windmills, Cheese, Cows, Clogs, Canals and Flat Lands by Bike
Discover the Amsterdam Country-side with a Local Guide on this bike tour. Amsterdam and the Netherlands are known for cheese, bikes, canals, and windmills. A great way to experience all this is on our half-day bike ride in a fun group setting. Together with our friends of Mike’s Bike Tours Amsterdam we are offering this great tour.
Country-side Tour Highlights
- Visit to a 600 year old farm for a cheese tasting.
- Take your picture next to a working windmill from the 1600s.
- See a thriving houseboat community.
- Pedal through the famous Vondelpark.
- Discover how the Dutch have created the beautiful.
- Amsterdam Country-side.
- Each tour is unique as every guide brings their own flair.
Local Expert Guide
Small Group Size
Quality Bikes on Quiet Roads
- Price: 42 Euro
- Meeting point: We will meet in front of Rijksmuseum at A Bike Rijksmuseum, Stadhouderskade 520, Amsterdam
- Season and days: Our season runs from March – November almost every day. If a certain day is not available for you, please reach out to inquire about arranging a private tour
- High-quality Dutch bike (on request we can arrange an electric bicycle for 15 euros extra.).
- Local, fun, knowledgeable guide
- Rain Jackets in case of rain, but always better to bring your own gear.
- Note: Helmets are not required for this tour
- Duration: 3.5-4 hours
- Distance: 20km (13 miles)
- Groupsize: Maximum 15 people
- Contact us if you have questions
What to bring
- Appropiate clothing (rainjacket)
- Water, snacks and lunch in case you need extra energy
Museumplein and Vondelpark
Starting from Museumplein for our Country-side Bike Tour, we immediately bike into the lovely Vondelpark (Amsterdam’s central park). This is a quiet, yet lively park that is ideal for getting comfortable on your bike. Your friendly, local guides takes you all along the greenery past ponds, fountains, and beautiful houses. In the park you can really get a feel of the relaxed atmosphere Amsterdam is known for.
Exit the park and follow a dedicated bike path along the river. The bike path eventually leads to large lake besides the Amsterdam forest (Amsterdamsche Bos). We stop at a lock system that shows how the Dutch handle differences in water levels for inland shipping. These locks are exemplary for all locks in the city. Across the locks we enjoy a view on a local houseboat community. You’ll get an appreciation of Dutch culture through the story of the houseboats.
After a few Instagrammable moments, we pick up our bikes again. We enter the impressive Amsterdam Forest, starting with the rowing lake built in the 1930’s. If we are lucky, we might even see the Dutch National Rowing Team practice!
Dikes, Rivers and Windmills
We cut across the local neighborhood through the greenery. You’ll be biking right on top of a ‘dyke’, a key element in the fight against the water. After a right turn we will paddle into the reclaimed land that sits under the water level. We stop in front of the pumping station that keeps the land from overflowing (so you won’t have to pack your swimsuit).
Continue our adventure along the gently-flowing Amstel River. We stop at a local cheese farm where we can visit the cows and say hi to the farmer. We taste some cheese and, of course, you can get some cheese to bring home to your friends and family.
A few minutes upstream, we stop at a classic Dutch windmill. It’s been very well maintained and provides a perfect photo moment. On a windy day, we could even see it turn!
We make our way back to our starting point, but not before going through the beautiful Beatrixpark, known for its wide variety of trees.
Book the Countryside Tour!
We had a beautiful day riding from Vondelpark, through the outskirts of Amsterdam and out to the countryside. Antoine was an amazing tour guide and despite a little rain kept the group in good spirits. We had been on a couple tours within the city at that point but this tour and the stories told were unique and thoroughly interesting. Joy Ride Tours are a small operation and the level of communication and service throughout was amazing. Would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.